The only real POJO Application Server.
Making the Java dream come true.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefano Tranquillini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 10:03 AM
Subject: Tomcat architecture

Hi everybody.
Someone has the architecture of Tomcat and a brief explanation of this?
For architecture t think at some like this:
http://www.javaportal.it/images/tesi/bonzagni2/Bonzagnic_html_m14d04b4d.png
thanks

Stefano, I love this question... I thought the same thing as well, "how does Tomcat and the whole EJB thing fit?"

I have a feeling this reply is going to spew out a few more responses...ha ha

In that diagram, call the Web Container TOMCAT.
Take the Beans out of the Ejb container, put them inside the Tomcat Container and call them Request or Session Beans.
Call the remaining clients Web Browsers
Throw the EJB container out of the Diagram.
Connect JNDI and RDMS to Tomcat

... thats your diagram...

Is that really that different to EJB, no!.... because typically what these EJB server diagrams never show is that TOMCAT is inside them.

Once I realised that, it was a big "click" for me.

EJB is many ways is a "refinement" of Request or Session Beans... now called biz logic with a whole bunch of extra tools, and an RMI connection that also
allows applications to talk to the container.

That translates to Tomcat = Web solutions
EJB = external application solutions
Roughly ;)

Hope that helps you see the connection.
Now I leave it up to others to explain when and why you may use one and not the other, and why some solutions can lead to suicide... ha ha