John Pye wrote:
Here are some instructions that hopefully will be of use to future users:

   1. To install tomcat on Fedora 7, just run "yum install tomcat5
      tomcat5-webapps tomcat5-admin-webapps".
   2. Your configuration files are in /etc/tomcat5. You may need to edit
      server-minimal.xml to set the port that Tomcat listens on. You
      will need to edit the file tomcat-users.xml and add a user with
      the role 'manager' if you want to be able to use the Tomcat
      Manager application.
   3. You can start and stop Tomcat by running '/etc/init.d/tomcat5
      start' (or stop,restart, etc).
   4. Any Tomcat web application that you want to serve should be
      dropped into /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/
   5. You can view your Tomcat website via
      http://yourserver.example.com:8080/.

This webpage had some good instructions:
http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/2007/01/14/tomcat_5_on_fedora_core_6_in_five_easy_steps.html

I have often felt that Java developers, with their 'completely platform
independent' system don't acknowledge that platform-specific knowledge
is often a barrier to getting those Java applications up and running.
The above steps make maximum use of the packaging work that Fedora and
JPackage maintainers have done, and made this job very much easier for
me than downloading the platform independent packages and working out
their particular conventions etc.
The concern that some of us on this list has with the various Platform specific distros, is that they are usually altered from the original Apache distribution. As soon as anything is altered, you have incompatibility issues.

Most applications are developed and tested on the Apache distributions.
You may not notice incompatibilities until you try to deploy a real complex application.

That said, I am not saying one is right or wrong. It is just that just as Java has become relatively stable (predictable), there enters the various Linux based distros to add to the equation. Some of these distros do not follow the generally accepted JAVA programming principles (what is acceptable today). These distros usually follow the principles of traditional Linux based programming, such as PHP, Python, etc. And that is primarily to make packages globally accessible on the system. This is where the distinction between traditional linux applications and present day java applications are being missed. Most Java applications are dependent on a specific version of an application server, JVM, libraries, etc. Thus a one package
for all creates issues.

So moving forward, are Java Applications now to be built for a specific Linux distro, in addition to supporting the traditional purist java programming environment. Or is it that a new generation of java programmers under the Linux distro environment will give raise. Will there then be two camps or platforms? Or will the new generation become the standard. I say this because as I speak, more and more I see java questions on Linux lists instead of pure java lists.

I know I do not usually rant, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! 8.0 - Centrally manage multiple physical servers