From: "James Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:15 PM
Subject: RE: mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp - encryption benefits?

Inline:

> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp - encryption benefits?
> Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 15:31:21 -0800
>

> "James Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> >Inline:
> >
> >> Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:16:24 +0100
> >> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp - encryption benefits?

> >> No, the AJP13 protocol does not support encryption. Both connectors use
> >> the same protocol. If you need to use encrypted traffic with AJP13, you
> >> could tunnel through an encrypted channel.
> >

> >Is this the common practice then when communicating from the web server
> >the application server?
>
> It is relatively uncommon (hence why encryption has taken so long to be
> added to AJP/1.3).  However, sites that have to communicate over a WAN do
> often use SSH tunneling or similar.

Wait...so encryption HAS been added or HAS NOT been added to AJP/1.3 ?

> >If not, it seems like an awfully big security hole, since the DMZ is
> >supposed be only "partly" safe.  If someone were to >crack into the DMZ
and
> >could sniff network traffic, then they could in theory listen in to
traffic
> >and grab all of it in an >unencrypted state (which may include credit
card
> >information, usernames, passwords etc).
> >

> For most sites, if someone were to crack into the DMZ, they would probably
> be more interested in querying your DB server for the credit card
> information, usernames, passwords, etc :).  In other words, you would have
> many much bigger problems to worry about than someone sniffing AJP/1.3
> traffic.  And this is why it is relatively rare to use tunneling with
> AJP/1.3.  Your resources are usually better spent securing your DMZ.

But in most sites, the point of the DMZ is to isolate the web server.  The
database/application server wouldn't be in the DMZ...just the web server, so
they couldn't query the database unless they broke through two firewalls
(one facing internet, one facing dmz).  From what I am gathering though,
they could, however, sniff traffic that has been decrpyted at the web server
(where SSL ends) and being sent to the app server (probably to be
saved/checked against the database).

Is this just an acceptable risk or do most companies use SSL tunneling?