Hi Tim,

Tim Alberts schrieb:
I have 3 physical servers, all 3 running tomcat6 and the 2 web applications (one for local, one for www) just fine. Two of these have apache web servers (local and www), both configured and running static content by themselves just fine.

Ideally, I want the 3 tomcat6 instances to be a lb cluster for the two web servers. For reasons I don't understand, it isn't working. The

By cluster here we mean a farm (i.e. multiple nodes carrying the same apps) but not session replication?

'local' web server will mount the lb cluster when I only have one tomcat6 instance listed in the cluster. The 'www' web server won't mount the cluster if it's 3 or 1 tomcat6 instance. It will mount a tomcat6 instance without the cluster.

I seem to be lacking some understanding. Can multiple web servers connect to tomcat6 with mod_jk at the same time, or do I need to configure additional connectors for each connection?

No, what you are trying to achieve is very normal. The below config tells us, that the URLs configured in JkMount are send to a load balancing woker lb, and although you defined three ajp13 workers, the lb only knows about one of them, "cartman". So lb should send all requests to cartman.

If you can reproduce your problem with single requests, then you can set your JkLogLevel to debug, restart the web server and send a single request. The log file will tell you, what mod_jk configured during startup, if it found a worker it will send the request to, and what it got back from the worker. I assume, that you already checked, if you have error messages in the JK log file?

If you add the other two members to the list of members of lb, can you see them in the status worker?

Just in case one of the two web servers uses an even more recent version of mod_jk: we made our vhost handling more strict. JkMounts now have to be inside the VirtualHost (if you use them) or you must use JkMountCopy to inherit mounts from the global server to a vhost.

Regards,

Rainer

Servers are Apache2.2.3 Tomcat6.0.14 mod_jk-1.2.23-apache-2.2.x-linux-x86_64.so

# workers.properties
#
# List workers
worker.list=lb,jkstatus
#
# Define cartman
worker.cartman.port=8009
worker.cartman.host=cartman.inside.msi
worker.cartman.type=ajp13
worker.cartman.socket_timeout=300
worker.cartman.lbfactor=1
#
# Define stan
worker.stan.port=8009
worker.stan.host=stan.inside.msi
worker.stan.type=ajp13
worker.stan.socket_timeout=300
worker.stan.lbfactor=1
#
# Define kyle
worker.kyle.port=8009
worker.kyle.host=kyle.inside.msi
worker.kyle.type=ajp13
worker.kyle.socket_timeout=300
worker.kyle.lbfactor=1
#
#
# Define lb
worker.lb.type=lb
worker.lb.sticky_session=True
worker.lb.sticky_session_force=False
worker.lb.balance_workers=cartman
#
# Define a 'jkstatus' worker using status
worker.jkstatus.type=status

Apache config file mounts the local applications like:

   JkMount /localapp lb
   JkMount /localapp/* lb

Apache config file mounts the www applications like:

   JkMount /wwwapp lb
   JkMount /wwwapp/* lb