Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Eclipse to work with Mysql/Tomcat.

In Eclipse, I have set up a project and have added a Tomcat server and added
the project to the server.
The project consists of a simple example of a standard struts architecture for
the MVC.

Model: Artist.java, ArtistSearchService.java
Controller: ArtistSearchAction.java

The ArtistSearchSerview.java connects to mysql, searches for Artists and
creates Artists objects.

If I deploy this to Tomcat, every thing works fine.

But when I run inside Eclipse it will not connect to the database. I get the
errors listed below.
Funny thing is, in Eclipse I have also tried setting a data source for this
database.
This also works fine and I can connect to the DB from the data source, but I
still get the error.

So how do you use Eclipse with Tomcat and MySQL? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Kevin

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from
fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for
connect URL 'null'

org.apache.struts.chain.ComposableRequestProcessor.process(ComposableRequestProcessor.java:286)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

root cause

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver of
class '' for connect URL 'null'

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1150)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
        model.ArtistSearchService.selectArtists(ArtistSearchService.java:30)
        controller.ArtistSearchAction.execute(ArtistSearchAction.java:34)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.servlet.ExecuteAction.execute(ExecuteAction.java:58)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.AbstractExecuteAction.execute(AbstractExecuteAction.java:67)

org.apache.struts.chain.commands.ActionCommandBase.execute(ActionCommandBase.java:51)
        org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)

org.apache.commons.chain.generic.LookupCommand.execute(LookupCommand.java:304)
        org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:190)

org.apache.struts.chain.ComposableRequestProcessor.process(ComposableRequestProcessor.java:283)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)
        org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

root cause

        java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(Unknown Source)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1143)

[...]

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.26 logs.

Apache Tomcat/5.5.26