Hi,

The GUI has proved useful for debugging, but didn't solve the problem.
It appears to read/write the registry, so settings made from the command

line are picked up in the GUI tool, and vice versa.

Our Java setup is slightly non-standard.  I'm not sure how non-standard:

perhaps somebody can tell me if this situation is rare.  We install the
JRE, and then we copy the server jvm.dll (taken from an SDK install) to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_12\bin\server\jvm.dll

We do not delete the client jvm DLL, nor do we change the
registry settings for Java.  We simply point tomcat to the
server jvm.dll.

The jvm may be related to my problems.

When I use the standard tomcat install
service.bat install
the client VM is the default,
and the tomcat service behaves nicely.

When I proceed from that point (with a working service), and use
tomcat5w.exe to change the JVM path to point to the server VM DLL,
behavior is inconsistent.  Sometimes I can start and stop the
tomcat service, and sometimes I can't.  When I change it back to
client (by checking the "Use default" check box), it starts working
again.

However, installing using tomcat5.exe but without setting the
Jvm parameter has not helped: I still cannot start the service
after installing like this:

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe" //IS//Tomcat5
--DisplayName="Apache Tomcat 5.5"
--Install="C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe"
--Startup=auto --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
--StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootStrap --StartParams=start
--StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootStrap --StopParams=stop

Using --Jvm=auto doesn't help either.

So, client vm or not, I still cannot install from the
command line using tomcat5.exe.

> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Look at what the service.bat script generates

I found something interesting in service.bat

rem Set the server jvm from JAVA_HOME
set PR_JVM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
if exist "%PR_JVM%" goto foundJvm
rem Set the client jvm from JAVA_HOME
set PR_JVM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll
if exist "%PR_JVM%" goto foundJvm
rem Check for JRockit JVM: Bugzilla 39674
set PR_JVM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\jrockit\jvm.dll
if exist "%PR_JVM%" goto foundJvm
set PR_JVM=auto

My JAVA_HOME is  C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_12
and my jvm DLL files are in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_12\bin\server
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_12\bin\client

In other words, service.bat is looking in
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
for a DLL that is actually located one level up in
%JAVA_HOME%\bin\server\jvm.dll

which is why service.bat echoes
Using JVM:              auto
and is probably why this method of installing the service works
when nothing else does.

Note: tomcat5w shows the correct path to the client jvm.dll
when I install this way.

When I change the installation to use the server vm, things
stop working again.

Thanks,

Eric