karthikn wrote:
Hi

Sorry for the dely, thx for the prompt reply

I was just looking into using Jconsole as u said,but since
the UNIX 11 server,does not have GUI,I probably would have to do some remote Jconsole for the same.

Can u please tell me or provide me URL on how do i set up "mbeans-descriptor.xml" so the jconsole can be usaed for monitering remote JMX.

Tomcat documents do not say any thing about how  to achieve the same.

If you are using tomcat 5.5 or 6 you don't need to worry about the 'mbeans-descriptor' stuff as tomcat already has JMX support built-in. I wasted a few hours before I realized that its all there for you.

To set up jconsole to remotely access a server is fiddly and depends a lot upon your local server configuration. I suggest that you google for:

jmx remote

The Sun site has all the information on jmx that you will need.

Also, study the comments in the $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/management/*.properties files - its all there.

Once you have connnected by jmx you will be able to get lots of useful information about cpu usage and memory usage of the tomcat components.

If you want to add jmx support to your application then 'google is your friend'.

HTH

Spec

Os = Unix 11
jsdk = 1.6
Tomcat =5.5.23 version

thx in advance
with regards
karthik

Alan Chaney wrote:
Firstly, you are only making 350M of your memory available to the
application. xmx=350m means 350 megabtyes is reserved for the heap.

Secondly, that's probably not the issue!

You are correct in that you are running a 32 bit JVM. That's probably
not the issue either but it means that most of the 6GB of RAM you said
you had is not actually relevant.

Next. you keep saying that you are using netstat to look at your system.
but the display below is that of 'top'. I'm not familiar with your Unix
version so maybe netstat is different on your system. Neither netstat
nor top are that much use for delving into linux memory issues, never
mind about java issues. It is extremely difficult to correlate the way
that linux uses memory to what is actually happening inside the JVM.

The next issue is that thousands of people all over the world use tomcat
  and don't suffer from the problem that you are seeing, so it is most
likely that the problem is with your application. I notice that you have
535 process listed - that's an awful lot.

You need to investigate what is actually happening inside the
application - the best way of doing that is to use either jconsole or a
profiling tool. You are using java 6 which means that you can easily set
up a jconsole session to display what is happening. If you use jconsole
you will be able to check the real JVM memory usage over time and force
a GC to see how much of that memory is actually held by a strong reference.

And of course what do the log files show? Are you getting out of memory
errors? Are you getting RTEs?

Another thing to check is that is the system swapping? I notice that in
the statistics below you don't show the swap usage. This is often a trap
for the unwary.

HTH

karthikn wrote:
Hi

 >> is running a 64bit JVM.

JDK used is 32 bit probably by  running java -version on this Unix 11
server

bash-3.2# ./java -version
java version "1.6.0.00"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build
1.6.0.00-jinteg_12_nov_2007_21_58-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0.00 jinteg:11.12.07-21:02 PA2.0
(aCC_AP), mixed mode)

This version is avaliable from HP Unix site
http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/

As per HP site  64 bit is the version HP is distributing

I also have some more netstats report for last 4 hrs before we did the
restart of the web container ( TOMCAT 5523)

Tue Mar 25 15:52:06 2008
System: voise1                                       Load averages:
1.45, 2.23, 2.28
535 processes: 509 sleeping, 25 running, 1 zombie

Cpu states:

CPU   LOAD   USER   NICE    SYS   IDLE  BLOCK  SWAIT   INTR   SSYS
0    1.23   2.0%   0.0%   6.9%  91.2%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%
1    1.66   6.8%   0.0%   3.9%  89.3%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%
---   ----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
avg   1.45   4.9%   0.0%   4.9%  90.3%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%   0.0%

Memory: 3894732K (1548140K) real, 7334992K (3049776K) virtual, 829420K
free  Page# 1/36

CPU TTY    PID     USERNAME PRI NI    SIZE      RES STATE    TIME %
WCPU%  CPU     COMMAND
0    pts/3 16406   root         152 20   2412M    1218M run     103:21
31.77     31.72   java
1   ?        12779   root         152 24   282M     163M run
2:27      9.90       9.88     xas
1   pts/4  8251     root         178 20   11608K  9628K run
0:02      1.12       1.12     top
1   ?        12733   root         152 24   79064K  29540K run
3:28      1.06       1.05      voiseBLG
0   ?        37        root         152 20   8832K    8832K run
3:44      0.55       0.55     vxfsd

Over a period of  12 hrs the RES STAT reaches 2000M when CPU for java is
100%

The web application refuses to display the main page,even though we have
the GC configured
as

"JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xms350m -Xmx350m -XX:+UseParallelGC -verbose:gc"

with regards
Karthik

sterling wrote:
I am sorry, if this is the wrong list, for submitting questions
about apache on linux and router issues.
This problem generated from alcatel to zoom x6 router change.

Traceroute to webpage reports router address, but
webserver is at machine address on the same routed network.
Cannot see webpages on browser from outside or inside.
Thanks.
s.

 list, On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Alan Chaney wrote:

| yes We have  used  -Xms or -Xmx  Configuration , since the system
RAM is
| 6 GB
| as
|
| "JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xms350m -Xmx350m -XX:+UseParallelGC -verbose:gc"

So you have a 3.5GB heap. What are you filling it with? It's probably
not a memory issue if...

Actually the OP's heap appears to be 350M not 3.5G . I'm still wondering what he does with the other 5 gigs. Also its not clear whether or not he
is running a 64bit JVM.

Alan

.

.