i found the problem !!
i tried a war without a context and everything is working find (but i didn't have a db connection !!)
so i tried with a context (like the example below)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path=""
   reloadable="true"
   docBase="">
   <Resource
       name="jdbc/library"
       auth="Container"
       type="javax.sql.DataSource"
       username="javadude"
       password="javadude"
       driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
       url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydb?autoReconnect=true"/>
</Context>

i although set a resource in the web.xml

<resource-ref>
<description>Library Connection</description>
<res-ref-name>jdbc/library</res-ref-name>
<res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

and nothing worked !! it listed the webappas folder....
i may forget to say that it is a struts app !

i don't know why it is not working.