I know at least Chuck has already responded, but it may need to be emphasized even more. Tomcat will not allow clients to directly request _ANYTHING_ from the WEB-INF directory. This is per the servlet spec.

--David

Shabu Khan wrote:
Thanks Charles.
I put it back:
<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/cgi/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

and restarted tomcat, we are still back to the same problem.
http://myhost:8080/WEB-INF/cgi/web_xml_mon.pl?qa-1

returns
-----------------
HTTP Status 404 - /WEB-INF/cgi/web_xml_mon.pl
type Status report
message /WEB-INF/cgi/web_xml_mon.pl
description The requested resource (/WEB-INF/cgi/web_xml_mon.pl) is
not available.
Apache Tomcat/4.1.37-LE-jdk1.4
-----------------

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
From: Shabu Khan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > Subject: Re: Perl CGI setup

if my scripts/configs are in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/cgi
 > directory, what should the url-pattern be?

 http://myhostname.FQDN:8080/WEB-INF/cgi/web_xml_mon.pl?qa-1
 Your <url-pattern> is fine - all that does is select the servlet to pass
 the request to.  It's the URL you're using that's broken.  Just take out
 the /WEB-INF and leave the rest as is.

 TGIF

  - Chuck

 and its attachments from all computers.