From: Zach Cox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:26 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Share session cookie across subdomains

I'm working on a site that has a single web app in Tomcat that handles
lots of subdomains via wildcard DNS:
 - site.com
 - www.site.com
 - sub1.site.com
 - sub2.site.com
 - etc.

Basically, the site content gets customized based on the subdomain in
the request, if any.  However I ran into a problem where Tomcat would
use separate JSESSIONID session cookies on each different domain which
causes problems as the user would have multiple sessions if they
switched subdomains.

I found an examle Valve at http://www.esus.be/blog/?p=3 but it
ultimately did not result in a cross-subdomain session cookie (at
least in the Tomcat 6.0.14 I'm using).  I'm posting the Valve that did
actually seem to solve the problem for me below in hopes that it will
help someone else with the same problem in the future.

Basically you end up with a single session cookie with its domain set
to .site.com so the client will send it back in the request for any
subdomain.

Usage:
 - compile CrossSubdomainSessionValve & put it in a .jar file
 - put that .jar file in $CATALINA_HOME/lib directory
 - include a <Valve
className="org.three3s.valves.CrossSubdomainSessionValve"/> in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml

If you see/experience any problems please let me know!

Thanks,
Zach

package org.three3s.valves;

import java.io.*;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

import org.apache.catalina.*;
import org.apache.catalina.connector.*;
import org.apache.catalina.valves.*;
import org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.*;
import org.apache.tomcat.util.http.*;

/** <p>Replaces the domain of the session cookie generated by Tomcat
with a domain that allows that
 * session cookie to be shared across subdomains.  This valve digs
down into the response headers
 * and replaces the Set-Cookie header for the session cookie, instead
of futilely trying to
 * modify an existing Cookie object like the example at
http://www.esus.be/blog/?p=3.  That
 * approach does not work (at least as of Tomcat 6.0.14) because the
 * <code>org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.addCookieInternal</code>
method renders the
 * cookie into the Set-Cookie response header immediately, making any
subsequent modifying calls
 * on the Cookie object ultimately pointless.</p>
 *
 * <p>This results in a single, cross-subdomain session cookie on the
client that allows the
 * session to be shared across all subdomains.  However, see the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] getCookieDomain(Request)}
 * method for limits on the subdomains.</p>
 *
 * <p>Note though, that this approach will fail if the response has
already been committed.  Thus,
 * this valve forces Tomcat to generate the session cookie and then
replaces it before invoking
 * the next valve in the chain.  Hopefully this is early enough in the
valve-processing chain
 * that the response will not have already been committed.  You are
advised to define this
 * valve as early as possible in server.xml to ensure that the
response has not already been
 * committed when this valve is invoked.</p>
 *
 * <p>We recommend that you define this valve in server.xml
immediately after the Catalina Engine
 * as follows:
 * <pre>
 * &lt;Engine name="Catalina"...&gt;
 *     &lt;Valve
className="org.three3s.valves.CrossSubdomainSessionValve"/&gt;
 * </pre>
 * </p>
 */
public class CrossSubdomainSessionValve extends ValveBase
{
    public CrossSubdomainSessionValve()
    {
        super();
        info = "org.three3s.valves.CrossSubdomainSessionValve/1.0";
    }

    @Override
    public void invoke(Request request, Response response) throws
IOException, ServletException
    {
        //this will cause Request.doGetSession to create the session
cookie if necessary
        request.getSession(true);

        //replace any Tomcat-generated session cookies with our own
        Cookie[] cookies = response.getCookies();
        if (cookies != null)
        {
            for (int i = 0; i < cookies.length; i++)
            {
                Cookie cookie = cookies[i];
                containerLog.debug("CrossSubdomainSessionValve: Cookie
name is " + cookie.getName());
                if
(Globals.SESSION_COOKIE_NAME.equals(cookie.getName()))
                    replaceCookie(request, response, cookie);
            }
        }

        //process the next valve
        getNext().invoke(request, response);
    }

    /** Replaces the value of the response header used to set the
specified cookie to a value
     * with the cookie's domain set to the value returned by
<code>getCookieDomain(request)</code>
     *
     * @param request
     * @param response
     * @param cookie cookie to be replaced.
     */
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    protected void replaceCookie(Request request, Response response,
Cookie cookie)
    {
        //copy the existing session cookie, but use a different domain
        Cookie newCookie = new Cookie(cookie.getName(),
cookie.getValue());
        if (cookie.getPath() != null)
            newCookie.setPath(cookie.getPath());
        newCookie.setDomain(getCookieDomain(request));
        newCookie.setMaxAge(cookie.getMaxAge());
        newCookie.setVersion(cookie.getVersion());
        if (cookie.getComment() != null)
            newCookie.setComment(cookie.getComment());
        newCookie.setSecure(cookie.getSecure());

        //if the response has already been committed, our replacement
strategy will have no effect
        if (response.isCommitted())
            containerLog.error("CrossSubdomainSessionValve: response
was already committed!");

        //find the Set-Cookie header for the existing cookie and
replace its value with new cookie
        MimeHeaders headers =
response.getCoyoteResponse().getMimeHeaders();
        for (int i = 0, size = headers.size(); i < size; i++)
        {
            if (headers.getName(i).equals("Set-Cookie"))
            {
                MessageBytes value = headers.getValue(i);
                if (value.indexOf(cookie.getName()) >= 0)
                {
                    StringBuffer buffer = new StringBuffer();
                    ServerCookie.appendCookieValue(buffer,
newCookie.getVersion(), newCookie
                            .getName(), newCookie.getValue(),
newCookie.getPath(), newCookie
                            .getDomain(), newCookie.getComment(),
newCookie.getMaxAge(), newCookie
                            .getSecure());
                    containerLog.debug("CrossSubdomainSessionValve:
old Set-Cookie value: "
                            + value.toString());
                    containerLog.debug("CrossSubdomainSessionValve:
new Set-Cookie value: " + buffer);
                    value.setString(buffer.toString());
                }
            }
        }
    }

    /** Returns the last two parts of the specified request's server
name preceded by a dot.
     * Using this as the session cookie's domain allows the session to
be shared across subdomains.
     * Note that this implies the session can only be used with
domains consisting of two or
     * three parts, according to the domain-matching rules specified
in RFC 2109 and RFC 2965.
     *
     * <p>Examples:</p>
     * <ul>
     * <li>foo.com => .foo.com</li>
     * <li>www.foo.com => .foo.com</li>
     * <li>bar.foo.com => .foo.com</li>
     * <li>abc.bar.foo.com => .foo.com - this means cookie won't work
on abc.bar.foo.com!</li>
     * </ul>
     *
     * @param request provides the server name used to create cookie
domain.
     * @return the last two parts of the specified request's server
name preceded by a dot.
     */
    protected String getCookieDomain(Request request)
    {
        String cookieDomain = request.getServerName();
        String[] parts = cookieDomain.split("\\.");
        if (parts.length >= 2)
            cookieDomain = parts[parts.length - 2] + "." +
parts[parts.length - 1];
        return "." + cookieDomain;
    }

    public String toString()
    {
        return ("CrossSubdomainSessionValve[container=" +
container.getName() + ']');
    }
}