Hi All,
  To answer the original question, there is a mechanism that Tomcat
provides to handle the specific thing you want to achieve. The
solution is very Tomcat specific, so I do not really recommend it,
anyhow, if you really _need_to_have_this_ then the way to achieve it
is the following:

  - Extend the class FileDirContext to take a second parameter, this
second parameter is the path that will override the standard path.
Code everything into that class so that it works as you expect.
Compile and add the .jar to Tomcat library.
  - Add your own context.xml to the application you want to have this
special behavior, just copy the standard one from the conf directory
from Tomcat. In this context.xml add a new resource that points to
your new class with the new path.
  - Done.

This is simpler to explain it that to do it, but it is something that
should be easy to build and test within a day if you know what you
have to change and what you want to achieve.

Regards,
  Lucas Galfaso

PS: This will make yous web app not 100% standard, and if you have to
migrate this behavior to other web containers, it might get trickier,
so be sure that you really need this.