DIGLLOYD INC wrote:
Is the realm the <realm-name> specified in the <login-config> in web.xml? (eg "Tomcat Manager Application")
Yes.

(link above) suggest "localhost:80" might be the realm, but that makes no sense to me, as this would tie it to a specific port.
That is the default you get if you don't specify one.

The book I have -- "Tomcat, The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition" is in conflict with the above documentation, making no mention of digesting with the username and realm. The book suggest doing:
bin/digest.sh -a MD5 user-password
As does the docs. This is for digested passwords with BASIC or FORM auth.

But the tomcat 6 docs referenced above suggest doing:
bin/digest.sh -a MD5 username:realm-name:password
This is for digested passwords with DIGEST auth.

--obviously very different approaches!
Because they have different uses.

Mark