The Monitor Tomcat is one of the menu items created by Tomcat installer.
You can find it from Windows Start -> Programs -> Apache Tomcat 5.5 ->
Monitor Tomcat
where it's target is pointing to Tomcat 5.5\bin\tomcat5w.exe.

My application is using log4j release 1.2.15 and now, I noticed the
following suspicious error in stdout_20080423.log (appeared after
Tomcat is stopped),

    log4j:ERROR LogMananger.repositorySelector was null likely due to
error in class reloading, using NOPLoggerRepository.

and this INFO message in catalina.2008-04-23.log,

    23-Apr-2008 21:06:31 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEvent
    INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime

I'm not sure if the above is causing the abrupt termination of Tomcat?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: hezjing [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: Directories in Tomcat 5.5\temp
> >
> > Yes, I'm using antiResourceLocking as shown in Tomcat
> > 5.5\webapps\myapp\META-INF
>
> Unless you really, really need that, I'd turn it off.
>
> > I stopped Tomcat service normally (using Monitor Tomcat).
>
> I don't know what that is, but I suspect it's causing an abrupt
> termination rather than an orderly shutdown.  You should be using either
> the shutdown script or the tomcat5w.exe program to stop the Tomcat
> service.
>
> > The following are the steps I performed,
>
> The exact same steps (using the tomcat5w.exe program to start/stop the
> service) work fine for me, and result in an empty temp directory.
>

>  - Chuck

Hez