If you have an apache server fronting this there are IP address controlled rate-limiting plug-ins like:

http://www.topology.org/src/bwshare/README.html

and

http://dominia.org/djao/limitipconn2.html

I have no experience of either of these.

HTH

Sameer Naik wrote:
We just had one more incident today, 3000 hits total in 5 minutes! User agent
in MSIE 7.0. We have a load balancer and 3 apache servers behind it. Since
Apache is logging the request in access, for sure, it is not generating flood
itself. Then the culprit could be load balancer hardware, user's buggy browser
or some proxy server in between.

From the access logs, the request seems to be coming from genuine users. User's
are either closing there browsers (no hits for some period) or logging out and
trying again. The same page works fine when they do that.

We are analyzing logs to come up with a pattern w.r.t. user agent.

We cannot pat ourselves for serving so many requests, because every such time,
tomcat thread count (set to 100) maxes out (we get a page), each thread borrows
DB connection from pool, DB cache size goes to 100 and due to a bug/feature in
Oracle connection (round robin feature for checking out connection), each one
never gets cleaned up. so that increases sessions on oracle database server.

able to reject some of these requests... the only question is if it is
even useful to do in the first place. The processing and memory
requirements might outweigh the benefits of rejecting the requests in
the first place. Since all responses are 200 (success), you might just smile, say "hey,
it's great that my web server can handle so many responses so fast with
no errors" and sit back and relax. - -chris