I am using tomcat 5.5.23 to set up form based authentication.

I have looked at the source code and ran the security/protected example that is
provided with tomcat, and I have a question about the resources associated with
the login-config. The two jsps defined in the login-config are in the
security/protected directory, under which I thought all resources are
protected. How is it then these two pages can be displayed without the user
logging in? Or is there an exemption for those pages defined in the
login-config?

[The reason I am asking is that I am trying to work out the best structure for
my application. I want my login pages to contain images and css and those
resources *will* have to be in an unprotected area. When I created a protected
directory then I had all sorts of trouble with the path to the unprotected
resources. My current structure is:
/login.jsp
/error.jsp
/images/*.gif
/application.css

/protected/*.jsp
/protected/images/*.gif

but when I try to access protected/*.jsp tomcat brings up the correct login
page but seems to think that all resources that are relatively defined in
login.jsp are actually relative to the protected area. The only way I can fix
this is to define absolute paths in my jsp, a solution which I am not
particularly happy with (I saw an associated posting on this for a different
version of tomcat:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200311.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED])]

Any help with the original question would be much appreciated.

Natalie

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail