Chuck, I think you are right that it is a permission problem. Each
appBase is a separate hosting account having a different directory
owner. I'm concerned that I'll weaken security if I grant group write
access. In this case, I can probably deal with running apps from the
war, or manually expanding if necessary.

Thanks,
Vin