Date sent:              Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:57:17 +1000
From:                   Ben Stringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                RE: Redhat patch level cheatsheet?
To:                     Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:          Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>

> Hi Brandie,
>
> My understanding is that Redhat maintain the version numbering that
> they receive from upstream, and the only "patching" they are doing is
> repackaging the tomcat releases to fit in with the Redhat distro (ie.
> moving files around to fit their packaging structure).
>
> So if you download (from instance) tomcat5-5.0.28-2jpp_5rh.rpm from
> RHN, you are getting the Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 release. Redhat use (and
> sponsor) jpackage.org, so you may find more information there.
>
> If my understand is incorrect (and it may be) I'd like to know - this
> has always been my belief.

Almost but not 100% correct. Redhat "backports" updates/fixes and then
repackages
programs. If you have for ex. Redhat 5 and it comes with program version 5.x.y
that program
will always be at 5 for the life cycle of Redhat 5 but they will take fixes and
patches from
program versions 5 and 6 and "backport" them to their version of 5.

This, to my knowledge, is only done for fixes/security updates, not for new
features in the
programs.

-Steve O.