Steve Ochani wrote:
On 9 Jul 2008 at 11:57, Edward Song wrote:

What are the consequences of putting shared web resources in the "common" folder vs. the "shared" folder?

I´m not sure how to articulate the consequences of putting shared resources in the "common" folder. The following below is in the documentation, but is it enough to force another QA cycle on a server running multiple web apps?

Common - This class loader contains additional classes that are made visible to both Tomcat internal classes and to all web applications. Normally, application classes should NOT be placed here.
Thanks in advance for anyone participating in this thread.

Why would you want to put "shared web resources" in the common folder if the resources are just being used by the webapps?

One thing I've run into is a database driver that is used by multiple webapps (on windows). If it's in each app's own lib, I get an error that the driver .dll is already loaded. Moving it into the common folder prevents this from happening. If there was a folder that was shared only among web apps, and not with tomcat itself, that would work as well.