Jordan Michaels wrote:
Hi Gabe,

Hmm... you mean add the following outside the VirtualHost directives:

ProxyPass / http://mydomain.com:8080/
ProxyPassreverse / http://mydomain.com:8080/
HostnameLookups Off

Wouldn't that just serve up the JSP files that are located in the ROOT
webapp? Maybe I'm confused. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question? I'm not
sure. =P

Is there any way that I can have tomcat serve up the JSP files that are
in each user's public_html directory without having to add <host> and
<context> tags to the server.xml file each time? That way, all the end
user has to do is add new <VirtualHost>'s to Apache and not have to
worry about Tomcat configs?
I see what you are trying to achieve.
Yes you will have to edit the server.xml as you are trying to specify contexts off of Tomcat's default directory.

First of all I do not recommend putting Java code in the same public_html directory used for processing other resources by Apache. Apart from being less than elegant, there are some inherent security risks involved with this approach. I am assuming it is a single instance of Tomcat shared by multiple users? That too is probably a security issue
depending on how the SecurityManager is configured.

Thanks again for the patient reply. I really appreciate it!

-Jordan

Gabe Wong wrote:
Hi Jordan,
You just need to put the proxy directive outside the virtualhost once.
So it would be globally available
in the Apache config.

Regards

Jordan Michaels wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a situation where I want all jsp files on a particular system to
be served up by one context (webapp) in tomcat.

So in apache, I have a virtualhost who's files are stored in
/home/user1/public_html, and another apache virtualhost who's files are
stored in /home/user2/public_html. Is there a way that I can get the jsp
files in both apache VirtualHosts to get processed by the same tomcat
context WITHOUT having to make new <host> entries for each new site?

Basically, the customer wants the freedom to create new web sites using
the control panel software and just have tomcat process the JSP files as
necessary for each site. It would be ideal if they didn't have to modify
tomcat every time they added a new site to their server.

This is probably just my ignorance shining though, but could someone
point me in the right direction on how to set up tomcat to perform in
this way? I'm happy to read documentation  but it looks like there's a
lot that tomcat can do that just isn't necessary here. If I could get
just a little bit of direction on this, I would be in your debt.

Thank you for your help!

-Jordan

Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement for Cloud Computing
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! FREE Developer account for Hosted version on Amazon EC2