If you login to tomcat's manager webapp, you can see the memory settings and usage on the running system. Regarding setting the memory, etc., ... I believe the startup script accepts extra parameters and just passes them on to the JVM for startup. You should be able to do:

startup.sh -Xmx512m

Then you don't end up giving every java program running on the system half your system memory, killing hard drives on page swaps.

--David

Matt Burkhardt wrote:
Okay - I've gone ahead, uninstalled the distro from Ubuntu, installed
Tomcat 6.0.16 and I'm having problems running out of memory.  My
catalina.out file contains the lines

        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
and the application says it needs 512MB, I have 1GB on the server and it
says that you can use up to 70% of the memory before it gets starved.
So I edited the /etc/environment contents and ended up with this

more /etc/environment
PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
ANT_HOME="/usr/share/ant"
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun"
JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms512M -Xmx512M
-XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

and I rebooted the machine, but I'm still getting the error.  I don't
know how to check and see if it took the arguments correctly, but when I
look at http://myserver:8080/manager/status I see

JVM

Free memory: 23.34 MB Total memory: 63.56 MB Max memory: 63.56 MB

What am I doing wrong?

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.