----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: Weird stack trace when reloading a webapp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Olivier Lamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:17 PM
Subject: Weird stack trace when reloading a webapp

Hi,
I use the ant deploy target :
<deploy url="${url}" username="${tomcat.user}" password="${tomcat.password}"
          path="/{webPath}" localWar="${warPath}" update="true"
config="${contextPath}" />

But in catalina.out, I have the following stack trace :

INFO: Deploying web application archive dotw-trans.war
2008-08-07 15:04:38,942 INFO  impl.BasicTilesContainer : Initializing
Tiles2 container. . .
2008-08-07 15:04:39,177 INFO  impl.BasicTilesContainer : Tiles2
container initialization complete.
2008-08-07 15:04:39,185 INFO  access.TilesAccess : Publishing
TilesContext for context: org.apache.catalina.core.Appli
cationContextFacade
2008-08-07 15:04:39,247 INFO  filter.DotwFilterDispatcher : init
DotwFilterDispatcher with encoding : UTF-8
Aug 7, 2008 3:04:40 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
findResourceInternal
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load META-INF/services/org.ap
ache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration.  The eventual following
stack trace is caused by an error thrown for de
bugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional
impact.
Aug 7, 2008 3:04:40 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
Aug 7, 2008 3:04:40 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/dotw-trans] startup failed due to previous errors

Any idea on the Could not load
META-INF/services/org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration.

My en is :
- apache-tomcat-6.0.18
- jdk1.6.0_06
- solaris 10

Any idea ?

Thanks,
--
Olivier

Oliver is that the whole error message or did you abreviate it?
Does is say anything about a POST...

I tell you why, on complex applications I've seen something similar...

Anyway try this.... before you redeploy... open /manager/html and UNDEPLOY the old one... then run your script... If it is the same thing... you wont get the error because its actually happening in the undeploy... If that works then add another section to your ant script... first undeploy... then redeploy...

If it is the same thing... I've only noticed it on very complex apps....
Other thing I've noticed is that even when you get this weird message... the redeploy does work. And you cant debug it... because TC is killing the thing... ide wont trap it... And I think it only happens when there are classloaders in the webapp classloader... which would explain why the webapp class loader cant let go... the child still has references... anyway try the above, and I dont think its too serious... its a last complaint before it gets a bullet between the eyes ;)

.... maybe its the same thing...

Oh... to explain your question... sorry I got excited there....

findResourceInternal
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load META-INF/services/org.ap
ache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration.

What this means is that something in the application is trying to load a resource... like applications load Icons ona stuff... but the class loader in the application then asks Tomcats class loader to get it from the class path.... (something like this, could be less or more complex)... but because that classpath has been released already.... they screwed and dont know what to do... its like a classloader forgetting where jar files are... thankfully some clever programmer put the reason in... the web app has already gone... which maked me think theres another classloder in their somewhere... something like that ;)

Its a final death throw....
The only real POJO Application Server.