Hi.  I have a web application that consists of an online help system.
It serves HTML content using the Eclipse user assistance system.  The
usage I need to support is that the help system WAR is running in
Tomcat, we repackage a new version of the WAR with updated content
(only new HTML pages, no new application functionality), and then hot
redeploy the new WAR file.  The hope is that users will see the new
HTML content with minimal interruption of service.

I am able to hot redeploy the new WAR files by overwriting the
versions in the webapps directory.  In the server log I can verify
that Tomcat undeploys the old version and then deploys the new
version.  However, the HTML files that are being served are not
updated.  Tomcat serves the HTML pages from the previous WAR file.

If I stop the server, replace the WAR files, delete the work
directory, and restart the server, the HTML pages are refreshed.

Is there a way to clear all the old content from the cache during a
hot redeploy?  Or is there any other way to serve the new HTML content
without stopping the server?

I am using Apache Tomcat Version 6.0.18, jdk1.5.0_14, and Windows XP.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Desjardins