"Tommy Pham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to develop a web app using JDK1.6 and Tomcat 6.0.18 and JPA.
> When creating a new web app in Netbeans 6.1, I chose the Java EE 5
> version.  Then I proceed to create Entity Classes from Databases which
> were successful.  If I try to create JSF pages from Entity Classes, I get:
> The class javax.transaction.UserTransaction is unavailable. Add an
> appropriate jar file ...
>
> After adding javaee.jar from Glassfish v2 into my web app and deployed the
> web app, I got this error:
> INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
> already.  Could not load java.lang.Object.  The eventual following stack
> trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging purposes as well as to
> attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access, and has
> no functional impact.
> java.lang.IllegalStateException
>        at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1273)
>        at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1233)
>
> I think it's because of the javaee.jar causing conflict with tomcat's jar
> files.
>
> I know that Tomcat is only a web container but is there a way I can
> implement JavaEE5/EJB3.0 for full Persistence support without having to
> switch to Geronimo 2.x or Glassfish v2/v3?  (I think this is a stupid
> question but I just want to know my options :) I rather not switch to
> Glassfish if I don't have to because of default directory browsing
> Glassfish has :D

GlassFish contains only a forked version of Tomcat, so changes to Tomcat may
not show up there (and conversely, changes to GlassFish may not show up in
Tomcat).  The only J2EE Container that I know uses a pure version of Tomcat
is Geronimo (but, while not having looked, I understand that the changes in
JBoss are pretty minor).

I agree with Chuck that you shouldn't include a full J2EE jar (any vendor)
with Tomcat, and often times the easiest is to just include the pieces you
need.   But I'm guessing that it will be easier for you to just pick a J2EE
vendor.