----- Original Message ----- From: "Tommy Pham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:03 AM
Subject: Struts vs JSF (poll?)

Hi everyone,

This maybe out of scope for this list but I wanted to know more about Struts vs JSF other this old article [1]. Which are are deployed mostly on your TC server(s)/cluster(s)? If any Java developers are on this list, which platform API do you prefer for quick development (to meet deadline), performance, security management (user authentication and level restriction) etc... since both are based on MVC despite their different implementations(?).

Since there isn't a JSR for Struts, has Struts been around before JCP is formed? And why is there not a JSR for Struts now (just curious)?

As for JSF, which implementation is used by/for your app(s)? Sun/NetBeans? Apache's MyFaces? or Others (please list)? I'm somewhat disappointed Netbeans support for JSF and Struts in that Netbeans bundled libs support used older Apache Commons lib version (even for the current v6.1), although this could be updated but I don't know whether it will break the integration of Netbeans' VWP. Even the tutorial/trails on NetBeans site regarding Struts (although this can be compensated at Struts' web site) is very limited perhaps because of the (biased?) Struts weak integration to favor or push more on JSF/Visual JSF?

I need to evaluate my options of API and IDE before I dedicate several projects since the performance of Netbeans is getting worse by every release comparing to Eclipse. As for server, I've decided already ;)

TIA,
Tommy

[1] http://websphere.sys-con.com/node/46516

Use neither... prefer the plain TC MVC model.

Struts is really just an implementation of the MVC model in TC
JSF is more about trying to make web development feel like Swing development... see Visual Web Pages in NB

Struts is very much a stand alone tool.
JSF needs the whole VWP framework to make it go.

Struts may not be a Sun standard... but Apache is a brand you can trust... its generally all good free stuff.
JSF and VWP are Suns baby.

Sun and Apache dont see eye to eye on everything ;)

Netbeans is Sun
Eclipse isnt

You get the picture... theres some helthy competition out there ;)

The truth is... if you know what you doing, you dont need a framework... if not a framework will get you going quickly. Frameworks are cool until you want to do something outside of the framework...

That applies to VWP or Struts...

If I had no other choice, I'd use Struts... but I'd also use NB ;)

Big problem with the NB JSF tools is the complete lockin... so if your graphic artist is on Adobe, or FrontPage or anything else... they going to hate you ;) The NB JSF doesnt lend itself to multiple tools... its the swing way or no way... or extreme pain when you need something from the outside world;)

Its not about standards, its about lockin... actually many "standards" also mean lock in... thats probably why they made them. You cant beat just having a good clever designer on your team... there are many in this TC group... hire one.
Also dont be a groupie... just think about the technology...
Trouble with that is the NB is cocking up trying to push glassfish into it... but NB is Sun and Sun control Java... not a simple as its just crap. On the server end, there is a competition problem... on Java Core... its hard to beat ;)

Being a Java programmer is full of hard choices;)

Have Fun.... and choose carefully... read up on the TC MVC model...
The only real POJO Application Server.