Ted Byers wrote:
> Mark,
>
> OK,  Thanks.  But the information provided isn't quite complete.
>
> I had done everything the documentation you point to said, and kept getting
> internal server errors until I edited (on the suggestion of a colleague)
> context.xml and changed <Context> to <Context privileged="true">

This is in the 6.0.18 docs but for some reason isn't in the version on
tomcat.a.o. I'll look into that and get the on-line docs updated.

> The documentation you point to is incomplete unless something else was
> causing server errors just at the time I was trying to use my cgi script.
> The file context.xml also needs to be edited (as I describe above), and none
> of the documentation you mention says anything about that.

See above - it looks like the 6.0.18 docs weren't uploaded correctly.

> It is great if this is fixed in 6.0.18, but the online documentation ought
> to say what to do for old versions like 6.0.16 or 6.0.17.

The on-line docs should always be for the current stable release. We
usually note where something has changed since a previous release (eg a new
default etc) but in this case nothing has changed. The errors were in the docs.

> I looked at your change log and found only one bug fix related to CGI, and
> it refers to an NPE.  How that is related to the problem I was facing isn't
> clear to me.

You needed to look a little further. The web.xml fix was in 6.0.17 (never
released).

> Anyway, I still have some digging to do since, although <Context
> privileged="true"> proved sufficient, along with the provided instructions,
> to get my cgi scripts working, I need to find out what other implications it
> has.  Context.xml says it is loaded for each web application, and that is
> troubling since none of my other applications need it.  It has always seemed
> best to me to have programs run with the minimum permissions necessary for
> them to work, but I haven't found as yet how or where I could set privileged
> for one application only.

Again, the docs are your friend. You need a context.xml specifically for
your app.

Mark