I've partially given it to you already. I'm assuming for the purposes of this thread you have tomcat 5.5.x or tomcat 6.0.x and are using the tomcat provided database pooling. Find the <Resource ... /> element in your webapp's context xml file where you defined your database pool and add an attribute named validationQuery with a value of "select 1". Then restart your webapp.

--David

Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:
Please help me in setting up a Validation Querry!!!
I am not aware of it!!

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > To Tomcat Users List 09/08/2008 06:24 <users@tomcat.apache.org> PM cc Subject Please respond to Re: Intermitant DB Problem in "Tomcat Users tomcat:java.sql.SQLException: Io List" exception: Connection reset by <[EMAIL PROTECTED] peer: JVM_recv in socket input che.org> stream read

Two questions:

1. Is the db server on the same box as the tomcat server?  If not, have
you ruled out network hardware issues between the db server and tomcat?

2. Does your db pool definition have the attribute
validationQuery="select 1"?  That would pre-test your connections before
returning one on ds.getConnection(), regenerating them if they fail.

--David

Thangavel Sankaranarayanan wrote:
Hi ,

I am getting the following error when connecting to oracle database,

Has any one seen this kind of errors before? is this the problem with
tomcat in loosing the connections??
I am getting  this error once in 5 hrs and i get a HTTPStatus500 error
and
when a user tries again it gets okay and it is working
How can i resolve this Intermitant DB Problem in tomcat!!!

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv
in
socket input stream read

This is the Exception details in my application logs:
  DEBUG  au.com.vodafone.mpp.bos.MPPFactory  - Calling getConnection
method
of Datasrc Class:600991
  DEBUG  au.com.vodafone.mpp.da.DataSrc  - Inside getConnection() method
of
DataScr
 DEBUG  au.com.vodafone.mpp.da.DataSrc  - About to get a Connection from
SharedPoolDatasrc and return it back...
  ERROR  au.com.vodafone.mpp.da.DataSrc  - Exception while get a
Datasource
connection
 ERROR  au.com.vodafone.mpp.da.DataSrc  - java.sql.SQLException: Io
exception: Connection reset by peer: JVM_recv in socket input stream read
 DEBUG  au.com.vodafone.mpp.bos.MPPFactory  -
Exception:java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection reset by peer:
JVM_recv in socket input stream read
 WARN   org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor  - Unhandled Exception
thrown: class java.sql.SQLException

This is my code:

static public Connection getConnection() throws Exception {
            theLog.debug("Inside getConnection() method of DataScr");
            try
            {

                  if (ds == null)
                  {
                        theLog.debug("SharedPoolDatasrc is NULL: Serious
Error ");
                        System.out.println("SERIOUS ERROR 99");
                  }
                  theLog.debug("About to get a Connection from
SharedPoolDatasrc and return it back...");
                  return ds.getConnection();
            }
            catch(Exception exp)
            {
                  theLog.error("Exception while get a Datasource
connection");
                  theLog.error(exp);
                  throw exp;
            }