The Tomcat batch files deliberately ignore the CLASSPATH environment variable
because failing to do so greatly increases the odds of Tomcat not starting.
Modifying the runtime classpath in Eclipse is going to have the same effect on
your odds of Tomcat starting for the exact same reason.  Tomcat 6.0.x only
needs bootstrap.jar on the classpath.  Some additional jars get "added"
automatically by Java per the "Class-Path" attribute in the MANIFEST.MF found
in bootstrap.jar.  With this set of jars, the bootstrap process will use the
"common.loader" property value found in the "conf/catalina.properties" file to
create the "common" classloader which will contain the javax.servlet classes
among many others required by the Tomcat server.

Not knowing what your original Tomcat configuration was, it's hard to guess
what the original change was that caused Tomcat not to start.  Modifying the
runtime classpath can easily result in this same symptom.  You might try
creating a new Tomcat server from the same Tomcat runtime in Eclipse and see if
it will start.  If not, it suggests you have done something to your Tomcat
installation.

Cheers,
Larry