On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 17:59 -0400, Paul McGurn wrote:
> If you're expecting the size of your image store to grow, or better yet, grow
> rapidly, you'd be best served to consider a strategy either with
> mod_proxy/mod_rewrite, or better yet, looking into a CDN (content delivery
> network) to host the images themselves.
>
> Example, I'm about to launch an offering that will allow for our support team
> to publish video tutorials on how to use our products.  It makes absolutely
> no sense to have a copy of each video file on each front end webserver (we
> use tomcat as the web server and application container), and it also isn't
> responsible to deliver a content offering with no redundancy in case of
> outage/downtime/disaster.
>
> Instead, we're leveraging some clever (but very easy) DNS, and Amazon S3 to
> host the files.
>
> By leveraging Amazon, we can link all our content by using a CNAME DNS
> record, like content.yourname.com , and automatically deliver that content
> from Amazon.
>
> Of course, there are drawbacks.  I don't think this method would work in SSL
> implementations for instance.
>
> This link is to the instructions I followed ot deliver content via S3:
> http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/09/how-to-alias-a-domain-name-or-sub-domain-to-amazon-s3/
>

> Paul McGurn

Looks pretty good, but have to check the price for that...

Anyway, your videos are uploaded by people of your staff, and then
viewed as html for your clients. Here, people upload images, so our
server modify those images (resize, format, take off transparencies,
etc), so it'll make more traffic from our server to the s3 server.

I'll keep the idea in mind, but I don't see it as a solution to use soon
in this case.

Thanks for the idea anyway Paul, I'll check it out.

Cheers

Martín