There's a lot of good suggestions here, maybe you could also justify
maintaining a separate instance for the American customers. That would at
least allow at a minimum to roll out changes specific for them, conform to
their maintenance time :P. Yes I do realize it would be a replication of
code in terms of releases but it is something to think about.