Woytasik Joe wrote:
We are running IIS6 and Tomcat 6, with the AJP connector forwarding
traffic from IIS to Tomcat.  Everything has been working well until we
started running some load tests.  When we ramp up our testing we start
to see the following errors in the connector log.
[Wed Sep 24 14:28:42 2008] [3456:1504] [error] jk_ajp_common.c (1879):
(IppsClaimsWorker) Connecting to tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not
started or is listening on the wrong port
[Wed Sep 24 14:28:42 2008] [3456:1504] [error] jk_isapi_plugin.c (1082):
service() failed
What could be causing this issue? Any help or troubleshooting tips
would be appreciated.

1) Use netstat to find out, how many connections from the isapi plugin of IIS to Tomcat are in use. Those map to the number of parallel requests allowed. Also check, if you yourself can connect to the AJP port, e.g. with "telnet".

2) Do a couple of Java thread dumps (not: memory dumps) for your Tomcat and have a look, what they are doing and if this fits your expectation.

3) Check the number of threads configured for your AJP connector. This is again the maximum concurrency in requests allowed. Don't go to far. If a backend, like a database gets to slow, your throughput goes down and new requests will get in trouble. It doesn't make sense to try to queue those by using an excessive number of threads.

Regards,

Rainer