I have an application that parses xml.  I send it xml using another
little app, which makes an http post.  The averge size of a post is
about 3000 characters.  Here is the significant information:

* I have a system which is being replaced, which consists of RHEL3,
httpd 2.0, mod_jk and Tomcat 6.0.16
* I have a new system, to replace the old one, which consists of 3 x
Tomcat 6.0.16 machines, to be load balanced.

Testing:

* Submitting straight to one of the new tomcat 6.0.16 machines, over
http, works without fail - the XML is parsed.
* Submitting to the old system (httpd 2.0 using mod_jk, with tomcat
6.0.16 on  the same box) works fine.
* Submitting to a separate machine, running httpd 2.2, and  using
mod_proxy_ajp to proxy to tomcat 6.0.16 only works if the POST is
smaller than about 1600 bytes, otherwise the data appears to be
unterminated to the app.  Tcpdump shows where the data continues into
a second packet, and this is exactly where the app says the xml is
unterminated.
* Submitting to a separate machine using nginx or httpd, and proxying
via http to a tomcat machinen works fine, only the very first time
after a tomcat restart.  Thereafter it fails, in the same way -
complaining about unterminated XML.  As soon as Tomcat is restarted,
the very next one works, and then fails again thereafter.

Can anyone see a pattern here?  I can't see a way through any more,
and it's looking like we can't find any way to load-balance, or even
simply proxy to Tomcat reliably.

I'm at my wit's end... so any help would be most gratefully received.

S.