Dear Uprooter,

I'm looking for a server that has to hold many (web services) remote clients
for controlling them.
I want to do things like sending power off command to a bunch of machines
remotely.

Building a botnet? :-)

The clients are usually windows machines behind firewalls  NAT or web
proxies that only allow HTTP (this is why I thought of webservices)

The regular request-response fashion that servlet follows is not suitable
here since the initiator of the operation is the server.
What can I do in order to solve this and still use web services?

If you have the resources, you can just block in the servlet on your server. It's pretty expensive since Tomcat uses a thread per request I believe. Java threads are expensive (256kB each?), so that adds up quickly. You could spend some time tuning your thread stacks, though. Depending on your actual number of clients, you should be able to get this to work with a few GB of RAM.

But then, 20K client polling once an hour might be cheaper. You may want to find a way to stagger the requests though.

--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
06-51838192

The secret of success lies in the stability of the goal. -- Benjamin Disraeli