I'm trying to configure an HTTP <Connector> that reports to the
application that the connection is secure. According to the TC
documentation
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html), you should
be able to simply set:

secure="true"

in the <Connector> and all should be well.
Yes, this is used when you'll be using SSL/TLS with https type URLs. To do SSL, you'll need a keystore to with a key created that represents the web server's domain name (i.e. cn=www.webserver.org).

I would have expected an HTTP connector to be created, but it appears
that an HTTPS connector is being created instead.
If you only want http, then secure will always be false. Of course, I'm not sure which of the scheme and secure attributes tells it to use SSL HTTP/1.1 connector. If you don't want a keystore and want HTTP instead of HTTPS, just leave the secure attribute off.

David