It looks like this is an issue with the tomcat native connector. If I
remove it I have no connection issues at all.

Any ideas why the native connector could be causing issues?

I built the connector using

   TC native      -> 1.1.14
   apr            -> 1.2.12
   OpenSSL  -> 0.9.8h 28 May 2008
   Java     -> 1.6.0_07-b06

   ./configure --with-apr=/CTT/apr-1.2.12 --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
   --prefix=/CTT/tomcat6 --with-java-home=/usr/java

I see there is a new version of the TC native so I will experiment with
that and different versions of APR.

___________________________

Gary Johnstone
PLM System Administrator
Cummins Turbo Technologies Ltd

             gary.l.johnstone@
             cummins.com
             22/10/2008 08:12          Tomcat Users List
                                       <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
             Tomcat Users List                                     Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         RE: Possible causes of connection
                 che.org>              timeouts?

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="100"
               address="160.95.14.76"/>

One thing I have found is that when I set

keepAliveTimeout="30000"

i.e different to the connectionTimeout

The delay then becomes 30 seconds and not 20s as it would default to with
just connectionTimeout set to 20000.
I think this means I am seeing issues with new requests for pages/items on
a page rather than issues mid serving of a page.

___________________________

Gary Johnstone
PLM System Administrator
Cummins Turbo Technologies Ltd

             Martin Gainty
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       Tomcat Users List
             21/10/2008 19:40          <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             Tomcat Users List         RE: Possible causes of connection
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         timeouts?
                 che.org>

what are the values of your server.xml connection timeout parameters?
connectionTimeout
The number of milliseconds this Connector will wait, after accepting a
connection, for the request URI line to be presented. The default value is
60000 (i.e. 60 seconds).
connectionTimeout="60000"
connectionLinger: The number of ms during which the sockets used by this
connector will linger when they are closed..-1 keeps the connection open
until socket read/write operation is complete
connectionLinger="-1"
disableUploadTimeout
Allowed the servlet container to use a different longer connection timeout
while a servlet is being executed. Allows the servlet a longer amount of
time to complete execution or longer time during data upload
disableUploadTimeout="true"
socketBuffer
size of the socket buffer to be used for socket output buffering. -1
disables default is 9000 bytes
socketBuffer="9000"

Regards
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official
business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and
Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended
recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within
this transmission.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/