Dimas,

Dimas wrote:
> I've installed an Ubuntu Server 8.10 with the Tomcat6 package. When I
> start it this msg appears on the Catalina log:
>
> WARNING: User database is not persistable - no write permissions on
> directory
>
> Do you know why?

My guess is that you don't have write permissions on the directory where
the user database exists(!).

Tomcat is running as what user? The user database is owned by what user?
The directory where that user database resides is owned by what user?

Note that unless you are using the manager application to modify users,
this warning is not relevant to you.

> Anyway the Tomcat starts OK, but when I deploy an
> application (JasperServer 3.0) it doesn't start with more permissions
> errors on the log:
>
> Catalina log
> Nov 7, 2008 2:48:10 PM org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener
> addResource
> WARNING: Failed to register in JMX: javax.naming.NamingException: Could
> not create resource factory instance [Root exception is
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory]

Now /that's/ a bigger problem: your Tomcat install is broken. Tomcat
ships with DBCP and should always be found. Have you been playing with
any of the JAR files that come with Tomcat? Have you added anything to
Tomcat's library directories? Have you deployed DBCP along with your own
application? If not, you should talk to the Ubuntu folks about their
broken Tomcat6 package, because this doesn't happen when you install
from Tomcat's official distribution.

> SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance
> of class org.springframework.web.util.Log4jConfigListener
> (java.util.PropertyPermission jasperserver.root read)

You also don't have proper permissions to your log directory.

> I tried to chown all tomcat6 directory to the tomcat6 user, and make a
> 777 pemission folder, but no result :(

I'm guessing that this is not standard procedure when using a packaged
version of Tomcat. I recommend asking for help on the Ubuntu Tomcat forums.

Please note that I'm not simply trying to get you to go away: this is an
Ubuntu problem and we have been told in the past that we should refer
these kinds of problems to /their/ forums instead of stamping our feet
and telling their users to discard their packages (which is typically
what we do, because it nearly /always/ works). So, help the Ubuntu folks
make things better and they'll also be better equipped to give you more
information about a "standard" Ubuntu Tomcat install.

Hope that helps,