You mentioned you just upgraded your MS SQL. Is it possible that the default encoding changed? It should be using UTF-8. Can you check that?

On Nov 12, 2008, at 4:48 PM, André Warnier wrote:

Adam Gordon wrote:
See my reply to Hassan. I think setting up a proxy would be overkill, and besides, when running Tomcat in a load-balanced capacity w/ sticky sessions using mod JK, while you can connect directly to the port on which Tomcat is listening for mod JK requests, unless you speak mod JK, it doesn't do anything.

I'm glad there is another solution available directly through mod_jk, which I was unaware of.

But re-read my earlier attempt maybe.
I wasn't trying to tell you to talk to the AJP connector from the front-end. I was trying to tell you to talk to Tomcat's HTTP ports, not to interfere with the load balancing, which I presume applies only to requests coming through the AJP connectors.
Like, at the Apache front-end level :
<Location /tomcat1/are_you_there>
  ---> proxy to http://tomcat1:8080/imthere.html
</Location>
<Location /tomcat2/are_you_there>
  ---> proxy to http://tomcat2:8081/imtheretoo.html
</Location>

Seemed pretty clever to me, as a quick solution. ;-)
Maybe due to my lack of knowledge, but I don't really see where the overkill would be.

--adam
André Warnier wrote:
Adam Gordon wrote:
We're running two Tomcat (5.5.16) instances in a load-balanced capacity behind an Apache server (2.0.55 w/ mod j/k 1.2.14).

We'd like to set up some sort of monitoring that would allow us to not just check to see if the Tomcat Java processes are still running (that's easy) but to actually connect to each web server (either independently or via the load-balancer) and verify that a certain page can be returned.

Since we're connecting to Tomcat via an Apache load-balancer, we don't know of a way to force the load-balancer to go to a certain Tomcat instance. Additionally, we don't know how to speak mod j/ k so we can't fake a direct connection to each Tomcat instance.

Does anyone know of a way or a product (commercial or open- source) to achieve this?

I don't think you would need a special product to do that, open source or not. On your Apache front-end, it would probably be easy to set up a proxy, which via simple HTTP would proxy just the links you want to either one of your back-end Tomcat HTTP ports. You would need the HTTP Connector active on each Tomcat, but that should already be the case by default.

Someone better versed in Apache mod_proxy could help you there.
Maybe try the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you don't get more help here.

Of course, if you can access your Tomcats directly through their own HTTP ports, then you don't even need that. I'm just assuming you cannot.