> From: Vasanth Kumar ravi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Question on Performance Tuning
>
> One question thou..
>
> in the JAVA_OPTS do we have to specify -server cos it runs as
> client by default.  Will it bring any change to performance ?

Usually it will help reduce the path length of the Java code by 10-15%; whether
or not that will have any measurable effect in your environment depends on
where you're consuming the CPU cycles.  The server JIT takes longer to kick in
than the client JIT does, so there's a longer ramp-up period as the JVM
optimizes the heavily used methods.

Note that a 64-bit JVM runs only in -server mode, and allows a much bigger heap.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.