> From: André Warnier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Folder/directory/file names with spaces in them are evil, and
> should be
> forbidden in any new OS, by unanimous decision of the UN Security
> Council, US Supreme Court and EU Commission.  The developers who first
> allowed this should be tracked down and named publically.  Their boss
> who approved this should be fired (he's probably already
> retired though).

As I've commented before, it's at least as old as UNIX, probably older.  If you
try to stop the accounts team naming their Excel files "Budgets from Margaret
2008-2009" you may find your office surrounded by a mob of pitchfork- and
torch-waving users chanting "give us back our readable filenames".  Overall, I
suspect more hours have been saved by humanity having readable filenames* than
lost by developers having to work round the problems.

> The Apache group should stop installing their Windows versions by
> default in a directory containing the silly names "Apache
> Group" and/or
> "Program Files" in the path.  How many useless programming
> and debugging
> hours does it have to cost before this issue is put to rest ?

"Program Files" is mandated by Microsoft, lobby them.  I partially agree that
"Apache Group" is a poor name for a directory; it does, at least, force
implementors to face up to the problem early, rather than facing a surprise
later.  This may or may not be a good thing overall.

                - Peter

*
ReadingSpeedGoesUpWhenTheSpacesAreInTheCorrectPlace.HowLongHasItTakenYouToReadThisComparedToYourUsualReadingSpeed?Andhowmuchslowerisitwhenthereisn'tevencamelcasetohelpyoudistinguishwordbreaks?
 OK, now multiply that by all filenames read by all users over all their time
interacting with their computers.