>It's the top frames that are critical, of course, since they show where the
thread is stuck.

That stack trace is not from when the thread is hung - I put a bp on the
entry point to my code so that I could see what code an incoming request
must go thru before being passed to my code - my theory being that my commit
requests were stuck somewhere in there.
I don't believe my code is stuck in the top 4 frames, since when I recreate
the problem, there are no threads that are sitting in that code - I see no
evidence of the commit requests that have been sent from the client.

>Because you're not releasing the connections back to the pool.

Yes - my requests that are attempting to release the connections back to the
pool are not arriving in my code. My client is sending them, but they are
not arriving at my server.

>If I have interpreted that statement correctly, you have a fatally flawed
application architecture.  Each

Understood - we are in the process of re-writing some of this logic.
However, poor design or not, I see no reason why Tomcat stops processing
incoming requests when an underlying pool (that it should have no knowledge
of) has been depleted.

I am pursuing this point because it occurs to me that Tomcat is not behaving
as I would expect - perhaps I misunderstand what Tomcat is doing, in which
case I'm looking for guidance. Perhaps there is a subtle bug here, or
misconfiguration on my part (other than the obvious undersizing of the pool
- but that should just cause poor performance, rather than non-functional
code).