Chuck,

If you're still out there, I'm "sort of" continuing the service install thread. I have managed to move on to a different problem (but not real happy about how).

I pretty much gave up on the "Permission is denied." problem. (I have another vague thought about what was happening if you care, but not the time or expertise to pinpoint the issue.) I did a completely clean extract of the 6.0.18 tar.gz archive, and tried to see if I could install the tomcat service without having touched anything. Had immediate success.

I thought I would be all set from there -- I could start deploying my apps little by little and see where things broke. Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as planned. What happens now is:

1. "service.bat install" appears to work fine. (So progress, I guess.) I notice that it does not start the service, so I take care of that manually.

2. Now, from a browser, if I visit http://localhost:8080 I get the Tomcat Welcome Page as expected. (Same as before deplying my app.)

3.But if I visit http://localhost:8080/mytestapp the browser waits and waits forever.

4. Note that if I stop the Tomcat service, and then start Tomcat from a console using startup.bat, everything works fine -- html, jsp, servlets, db connection.... Also, there isn't so much as a warning, much less an error message, on startup.

5. Just to see if it is mytestapp that is causing the problem, I did a completely clean extract again and tried to visit both http://localhost:8080/examples and http://localhost:8080/docs . I see the exact same endless wait. All these pages load fine if I start Tomcat using startup.bat.

I have tried to debug this on my own a couple of ways so far without success:

1. I looked for a log file that might provide a clue. I found the file that the Tomcat service writes to when it starts and stops, but I could not find a file in the logs directory that gets updated at all when I hit the server from a browser. Maybe I need to start with a debug parameter? If so, could you point me to info on this?

2. Following the documentation, I unistalled the Tomcat service and tried to run it as
         tomcat6.exe //TS//Tomcat6 --other-startup-params
     hoping I'd see clues go to the console.  Unfortunately, I get:
           > [2008-12-10 12:54:25] [427  prunsrv.c] [error]
           > [2008-12-10 12:54:25] [1336 prunsrv.c] [error]
           > Load configuration failed
I took --other-startup-params from the trace of "service.bat install", AND I was also careful to set all environment variables to the same values that "service.bat install" sets them. To confirm I didn't make a mistake, I put my "tomcat6.exe //TS//..." in a batch file along with all the env set commands. If I change the //TS// to a //IS// the service installs successfully, just like "service.bat install". But if I change it back to //TS//, I get the errors above.

Any chance you know of an easy fix for this one? (Maybe two issues - the failed //TS// seems different.)

Seperately, thank you much for the pointer you provided to the procrun page in your last note -- this looks like it could be really useful. If you know people who manage the online Tomcat docs, I'd suggest simply hyperlinking the word "procrun" (on the windows-service-howto.html page) to the procrun page. This would help people like me a lot.

- andrew