LOGGING:
Create a file called log4j.properties with the following content
            and save it into common/classes.
          log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,R
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%
--Container specific
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]=DEBUG,

--core specific
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core=DEBUG, R
--session specific
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session=DEBUG, R

Download Log4J
            (v1.2 or later) and place the log4j jar in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
            Download Commons Logging and place the commons-logging-x.y.z.jar
            (not commons-logging-api-x.y.z.jar) in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
with
            the log4j jar.Start Tomcat
Documentation is located at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

hth
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.