Hi Folks,

After installing Tomcat and trying to check that it is working OK, I get the
HTTP 400 error message.

I am running Windows XP Professional version 2002 SP 3 with all updates
applied.
I am running Internet Explorer v 7.0.5730.11.
I have installed Java JDK 1.6.0_11 with the JRE from the same download.
I installed Tomcat 6.x Core from its zip into C:\tomcat.
I set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to the JDK 1.6.0_11
directory
(C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11).
The JRE is installed at C:\Program Files\Java\Jre6.
I copied the servlet-api.jar to the JDK directory\jre\lib\ext.
I edited the c:\tomcat\conf\context.xml file to have <Context
reloadable=true>.
I edited the c:\tomcat\conf\web.exl file to un-comment the invoker entrie
for <servlet> and <servlet_mappings>.
I checked all these by loading the files into IE and the entries were
exactly as described in the tomcat documentation.
I created the classes sub directory as
c:\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes.

Prior to doing all the above, I had cleaned my system by removing all
previous version of Java and tomcat. I also ran Norton 360 Registry cleanup
to try to make sure that there were no random or odd registry entries. I
hard rebooted the PC and then started the Java and tomcat installations.

When I start up tomcat in the command window, it appears to be successfully
loaded reporting that it is using port 8080.

All of the above is standard and in line with the documentation.

BUT

when I try to test the installation using the examples that come with tomcat
using the URL http://localhost:8080/ I get the HTTP 400 Bad Request message.

This tells me that IE was able to connect to the web server but the web page
could not be found because of a problem with the address.

I have tried loading my servlet into the tomcat classes directory but get
the same message.

I have tried adding various tomcat directories to the URL (e.g. examples)
but get the same message.

If I stop tomcat and try the URL, I get a different IE error that recognises
that there is no web server running. I did this to check whether I had
another webserver also running in the background.

The Tomcat documentation on trouble shooting does not mention this error and
clearly states that there are only 3 things that can go wrong with the
installation:

1.   Port 8080 is being used by another process, in which case Yomcat won't
start.
2.   An "Out of Environment Space" error that affects Windows 95, 98 and ME.
3.   The localhost isn't found because one is behind a proxy.

None of these would seem to apply to my situation.

Can anyone, please, provide some insight into how I can overcome this
problem.

Ta much & best regards,

Pete