Pieter Temmerman wrote:
Hi

I got a Tomcat cluster set up, which is working for most applications.
However, since I am experiencing some problems (See another thread of
mine "Deltamanager + Session beans: Do they like eachother?"), I reread
the Tomcat clustering documentation.

The following are a few things that are not clear to me, I would
definitely appreciate it if someone could answer my doubts :)

Note: I'm using Tomcat 5.5.27
According to
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html :

1. "Make sure that jvmRoute attribute is set at your Engine <Engine
name="Catalina" jvmRoute="node01" >"

I thought this was only necessary if I wanted to have session affinity.
I just want my sessions to be replicated, I don't want to have session
affinity.
With the delta manager you don't need session affinity, but from a performance standpoint, it is unwise not to use it. However, it should still work without session affinity. If you don't want to use affinity, remove the jvmRoute attribute
2. "Make sure that your loadbalancer is configured for sticky session
mode"

Again, I thought this was not necessary if session affinity was not
required.
see above
3. From the "O'reilly: Tomcat The definitive guide" book:
"You must have both the distributable="true" attribute set on the
webapp’s Context and the <distributable/> element in the webapp’s
web.xml for session clustering to work."

The Tomcat website states:

"Make sure your web.xml has the <distributable/> element or set at your
<Context distributable="true" />"

Note the -OR-, it does not say -AND-. Until now I only specified this
tag in web.xml, which seemed to work just fine.
That is correct, you only need web.xml (that is the spec defined way)
you don't need a Context element/attribute.

Filip