Hi,

We have a RHEL5.2 Linux server running Apache/2.2.3, Tomcat-5.5.26 & MySQL
5.0.45.

We are experiencing users having issues connecting to our RH server and
getting disconnected with errors in their browsers that state there is a DNS
error or page cannot be displayed.

Users connect to Apache then Tomcat serves up our JSP's that sometimes
accesses specific MySQL server DB's.

We also have Mediawiki running - using PHP and Apache - that has
disconnected users as well.

Most of the pages seems to be index.jsp or index.php lately for both
websites(These are websites internal - our company web servers).

I have tried to view the Apache, Tomcat and Mysql logs extensively.
In Apache: I only see a few 401 & 404's sometimes but with no further
details.
In Tomcat: it is a mess of exceptions that our developers try and keep
cleaned up. ( We do not use Log4j)
In Mysql: there are lots of slow queries I've been logging - > 1 sec.

The errors that occur are random browser disconnects - urls that end or
start with *.jsp/ or *.php/ pages.
We have also tried using WinXP host files and using an IP address to bypass
DNS altogether - no luck.

Examples below:

At 2:58PM - Jan 09, 2009:

Page cannot be displayed" IE6 using IP address.

http://10.97.24.23/Qoe/custord1.jsp?id=6271&pageMode=view

While just reviewing an order (not editing)
Hit refresh and it cleared up...

Problem around 4:15PM - Jan 9, 2009:
http://10.97.24.23/Sales/IndentedATPServlet?partNum=086EXUCCCXMA&qty=1&warehouse=M

Problem around 5:05PM - Jan 9, 2009:
http://wsi/Qoe/index.jsp
(same thing....Page Cannot Be Displayed)

Our MysqL server has a tendancy to ramp up or the load avg increases using
massive CPU cycles - I restart Tomcat and the system usually calms down -
Mysql included.

We are currently using tcpdump on the server & Wireshark on the affected
clients to look at the packet level of my connections to the webserver.

I know more details are probably needed - this is a complex problem.
And only seems to happen in the am right when users login to their machines
and start up their browsers and then happens at the end of the day as well.

I've tried looking at the timeframes in the message and other logs but can't
find any relevant info that makes sense yet.
We've debugged our MS Active Dir DNS here and used host files on the clients
to stripping the Linux box of many un-needed services including IPv6.

We haven't had other issues with DNS that I've noticed with other
applications and/or servers in our entire organization.

Any responses or suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks.

-SP