> From: Jay [mailto:difficult...@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: Logging configuration in Tomcat
>
> There are many web apps. Log4j logger is used in all web apps
> & there are no system.out  or system.err

Then where is your catalina.out usage coming from?  Tomcat does not itself put
anything in catalina.out; data in there appears only because the Tomcat startup
script redirects System.out and System.err to that file.

> If I configure log4j at each web app level using
> log4j.properties, am abile to achive log file rotation but,
> this requires one log file per web application.

Which really, really is what you need.  Lumping them all together will create
serious grief, as other posters have already pointed out.

> What I am interested is one log file for all web apps

A bad idea.  You could just merge the log files after they've been generated.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.