Satya,

satya mahapatra wrote:
> The web.xml file is inside \WebRoot\WEB-INF\web.xml. According to this I
> have modified the context.xml inside Tomcat 6.0\conf as below.
>
> <WatchedResource>/WebRoot/WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>

AFAICT, <WatchedResource> expects resources to be relative to the
application's root, so you really want this:

...if your application's name is "WebRoot".

Note that web.xml is "watched" by default, and you don't need this extra
setting. Also note that you shouldn't be changing conf/context.xml. If
you want to customize your own application's deployment, then use a
context.xml file in the META-INF directory of your web application
instead of modifying the server-wide config file.

> But still its not able to pick the web.xml and thats why showing 404 error.
> Any idea where else I need to change?
>
> But when I removed the WebRoot folder and only kept the WEB-INF folder
> directly inside the context path then its working fine.

I suspect that you have your application "deployed" within the ROOT app
and thus not properly deployed. Does your directory structure look like
this:

ROOT
  - WebRoot
     - WEB-INF
        - web.xml

??

If that's the case, your application is improperly deployed. Either
deploy "WebRoot" at the same level as the ROOT directory (to deploy your
application as "WebRoot"), or move everything from WebRoot up to ROOT
(to deploy your application as the root application).

> Is there any way to customize the directory structure of the web application
> and please let me know where i am going wrong.

There is only one acceptable directory structure for a web application
and that is to have WEB-INF at the top-level of the application's
deployment directory (or WAR file).

If you are still having problems, please give more detail about where
your files are,