> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.develo...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Can Tomcat be used to host socket servers?
>
> Not sure if dynamically rewriting server.xml is the way
> to go.

Pretty much guaranteed not to be, since that would require stopping and
restarting Tomcat.

> The situation is that we have some existing programs
> (written in C) that are socket servers.

It's not clear to me exactly what you mean by "are socket servers".  Do you
mean they simply do a listen/accept on a server socket, waiting for connection
requests from some client?  If so, what protocol is being used?  If it's not
HTTP (or AJP), Tomcat won't help you.

Handling server sockets in Java borders on the trivial; using Tomcat just for
that would be massive overkill.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.