On Friday 23 January 2009 20:04:40 Christopher Schultz wrote:

> tovaldez wrote:
> > Hi,
> > monitoring our webapp while running load testing, I noticed that the
> > number of the effective users browsing the site is more than the number
> > of opened sockets in ESTABLISHED state (while under a 240 Virtual Users
> > load, I see only 180 ESTABLISHED connections, or 2000VU vs 450 opened
> > sockets).
> >
> > At first I think this is due to some TCP socket reuse optimization by
> > the JVM or the OS. Could someone confirm this idea or give me another
> > interpretation of this behaviour?
>
> Er... "effective users" ~= sessions, right? Not all users are actively
> making requests all the time so... the number of effective users is
> pretty much always higher than the number of in-use TCP sockets.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> -chris

Actually HTTP sessions >> effective users, since each user has a 10 minutes
simulated navigation but the HTTP session is lasting a lot more (I think 1 hour
by default in tomcat).
What I thought was that using HTTP 1.1, I would have only 1 phisical connection
to the server for each user... This seems not to be, as if the same physical
connection is used contemporarily by more clients.
I am asking if it could be a poor testing design or if we are wrong in our
consideration...