That is a possible solution.  There is a fairly heavy amount of files uploaded
from many different users so it would mean a lot of configuration and a lot of
maintenance to that config as i add new users.  So I am trying to avoid the
operating system chmod commands in my code.
If i add umask 002 in my ./etc/init.d/tomcat start up script it seems to fix
the problem but i think this is setting that umask for more than just tomcat so
i am not sure how safe that is.