> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > What about forwarding X through the tunnel instead?
> >
> You can't, because it is variable. It is the result of some internal
> "negotiation" between Jconsole and the remote JVM.
> Apparently, anyway. I haven't managed to make it work so far.

To expand Chris' suggestion: What about forwarding the X11 protocol through the
tunnel instead, such that you can run Jconsole on the same machine as the JVM?
X11 has a fixed port number, and ssh has support for this.  I've used this
trick when needing to do something graphical on a box with ssh-only access;
works a treat.

                - Peter